18 Dec How to Keep Winter Allergies at Bay in Your Dayton Home
If you or a loved one suffers from allergies in your household, we don’t have to tell you twice just how important it is to keep them at bay. While spring typically gathers the most attention when it comes to allergies, the truth is that winter allergies do exist and that they can avoided during the holiday season.
Here are some handy tips to help you avoid common winter allergies this holiday:
- Spray off your holiday tree — Homeowners will be bringing holiday trees into their homes and not realize that the scent and potential mold spores from the tree can irritate allergy sufferers. Decrease the severity by spraying the tree clean with your garden hose before bringing it inside.
- Use a fake tree instead — Using a fake tree instead of a live one could prevent any allergy problems associated with this tradition.
- Clean or replace carpets — Since carpets are notorious for holding pollutants, replacing them with alternative flooring, such as laminate or tile, is a wonderful solution. If replacement isn’t possible though, use a vacuum equipped with a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter for best results.
- Replace your furnace’s filter — A furnace filter can capture many pollutants that may trigger winter allergies, but won’t be as effective once it’s filthy. Replacement is recommended every two to three months, or as needed.
- Use your exhaust fans — The exhaust fans within your bathroom and kitchen do a great job at removing odors, pollutants, and excess moisture.
For more advice on winter allergies, or if you just have any other questions related to home comfort, please contact the experts at Airtron Heating & Air Conditioning. We serve the HVAC needs of Dayton and the surrounding areas.