28 Oct A Guide for Finding the Right Furnace
When the time comes to replace an old heating system, finding the right furnace to keep your home comfortable, delivers affordable utility costs and is within your budget are key factors in such an important decision that will affect your household for many cold seasons to come.
The first step in choosing the right furnace is to choose the best power source; although other non-traditional heating systems are available, like geothermal technologies, here we will focus on the most common types such as gas and electric furnaces.
Here’s a list of the pros and cons for natural gas powered furnaces compared to electric models:
- More efficient to operate, delivering lower utility bills and has a smaller carbon footprint.
- Ability to warm indoor areas rapidly vs. gas furnaces that can reach higher temperatures than electric models.
- Has a shorter lifespan along with a higher price tag and a more complicated installation process.
- Produces small amounts of carbon monoxide and households with a gas- burning appliance of should be equipped with at least one carbon monoxide detector located near each gas burning device.
Selecting an electric furnace model has these pros and cons when compared to gas powered units:
- Offers an initial lower investment cost and a simpler installation process.
- Carries simpler maintenance requirements and a longer lifespan.
- Contains no carbon monoxide emissions which poses a risk to your family members.
- Carries higher utility costs which could lead to a net economic loss over the lifespan of your electric furnace.
Also, proper sizing of all furnace types is critical for a comfortable home and optimal system performance. Units that are too large can cycle on and off frequently, reducing your furnace lifespan as well as creating hot and cold spots within your home, while undersized units can’t handle the heating needs during colder months of the year.
Homeowners in the Dayton area seeking help finding the right furnace can contact Airtron Heating & Air Conditioning, where we have been serving customers for over decades!