10 Apr Great Ways to Enjoy a Healthier Home Environment
The average home contains several unseen dangers, ranging from dust, chemicals and the average clutter to silent and deadly gases like carbon monoxide and radon. Learning how to alleviate these dangers is important for creating a healthier environment in your Dayton home.
Here are some tips for making your home a healthier space:
- Clean up the clutter. Not only is clutter an accident hazard, but it can also shelter rodents and insects.
- Always change your air filters. This should be done at least monthly to cut down on dust and other airborne pollution.
- Promote good ventilation throughout your home. Good ventilation can improve your indoor air, remove toxic poisons and keep the moisture levels safe. Even simply opening a window or two can tremendously improve your home’s environment.
- Clear the air with air-purifying plants. Houseplants, like peace lily and the dracaena, not only purify, but they can also beautify your home.
- Test your carbon monoxide alarm regularly. In addition, make sure to change your batteries at least once a year.
- Test for and protect your home from radon. This is a naturally occurring gas that can seep through and accumulate in your basement. A vapor barrier can help block most radon gas, as well as keep moisture at bay.
- Consider testing your home for lead. If your home was built before 1978, it could contain lead paint. When renovating, remember to use lead-safe work practices to reduce the spread of dust.
- Be careful when using and storing household cleaners and pest control products. These products can contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that contribute to indoor air pollution. If you can’t avoid using these products, use them in small amounts and keep them out of reach of children.
Contact the pros at Airtron Heating & Air Conditioning to learn more about creating a healthier home environment.